— screen composer
2017 Every Bastard has A Sorrow
2016 Dali Holiday
2016 I Love That Crazy Little Thing (Song)
2015 Highway of Love
2014 But Always
2017 A Light Faraway
2015 Heroic Time
2013 Beautiful Suzhou
2018 New Fortress Besieged (Post-production)
2016 The Man of Soccer
2009 The Carven Flower Building
2007 Spy Game in Ancient Suzhou
2014 Jinling: Predestined to Buddha
2012 Huai, The Open Door
2012 The Forbidden City 100
2011 The Louvre Meets The Forbidden City (Theme Song)
Multi award-winning Chinese composer Zhiyi Wang holds a master's degree in music composition from Oberlin College Conservatory and the University of Louisville, where he studied with Randolph Coleman and Marc Satterwhite. His unique compositions are characterised by lyricism and combine a sophisticated amalgam of Oriental tinctures with techniques and forms from Western avant-garde and influences from classical traditions.
"Zhiyi's Asian background is apparent, but he avoids clichés and the obvious. His music demonstrates a broad emotional range, as well, and he can paint effectively on both large- and small-scale musical canvases."
-Marc Satterwhite, Director of Grawemeyer Award for Music Composition
Zhiyi has composed a series of music works in different genres, including contemporary classical, film and TV score, modern ballet, musical, world music and pop music. As a core member of the music crew in the 2008 Beijing Olympic Games, Zhiyi composed various music programs for the Opening Ceremony. His works have been performed by leading ensembles throughout Asia, North America and Europe.
In the domain of film and TV scoring, Zhiyi composed the original music for the films But Always and Highway of Love, for which he got nominated for the “Discovery of the Year 2015” award from the World Soundtrack Academy. In 2017, he garnered the Gold Medal from Global Music Awards for his original film score Dali Holiday. Zhiyi also orchestrated and produced the film scores for Coming Home and The Flowers of War by Zhang Yimou. Moreover, he composed original music for several TV series and documentaries, including The Man of Soccer, The Forbidden City 100 and Huai, The Open Door. He wrote many hit songs for screen, including 'Love Love Aloha' for the film I love That Crazy Little Thing, 'The Origin of Fates' for the documentary Jinling: Predestined to Buddha, and 'Romantic Attachment' for the documentary The Louvre Meets the Forbidden City.
In pop music, Zhiyi received two nominations for Best Arranger in the 25th Golden Melody Awards for Fu Xian Lake and Blooming from the album Li Jian Classic Remake Collections. He collaborated with top-tier singers from China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and Korea, as well as being actively involved in China’s most popular singer reality shows, I am a Singer, Grammy Salute to China Star, and X-Factor, creating his own version of classic songs.
For his contemporary music, Zhiyi has won top prizes such as from the Red Note International Composition Competition, International Alfred Schnittke Composition Competition and the International Antonín Dvořák Composition Competition and was a recipient of the Grawemeyer Fellowship. In addition to his appointed residencies at the Shanghai Opera House and other distinguished institutions, he frequently receives commissions from various orchestras, festivals and organizations.
Zhiyi is an adjunct faculty at the Shanghai Conservatory of Music and Virginia Commonwealth University Global Summer Institute of Music and is a superb pianist as well. He held several piano concerts of his own compositions and also performed, premiering new works in various concerts and music festivals.
Zhiyi is a member of World Soundtrack Academy and The Recording Academy and lives between Los Angeles and Beijing.
More information: www.zhiyiwang.org
Awards & nominations:
- 2017: Gold Medal @ Global Music Awards for Dali Holiday
- 2017: Distinguished Young Alumni Award @ Oberlin College
- 2017: 1stPrize @ Red Note International Composition Competition
- 2016: 1stPrize @ International Alfred Schnittke Composition Competition
- 2015: Nominated Discovery of the Year @ World Soundtrack Awards for
But Always & Highway of Love
- 2015 : Special Mention @ The Sacrarium International Composers’ Forum and Competition
- 2014: Nominated Best Arranger @ Golden Melody Awards for Fu Xian Lake & Blooming
- 2014: 1stPrize @ Senzoku Gakuen International Composition Competition
- 2014: 1stPrize @ Malta International Composition Competition
- 2012: 3rdPrize @ International Sergei Slonimsky Composition Competition
- 2012: 3rdPrize @ International Antonín Dvořák Composition Competition
- 2008: Honor Certificate @ Beijing Olympic Organizing Committee
- 2005: Distinguished Participant @ Kentucky Music Teachers Association
- 2004: 3rdPrize @ International Franz Liszt Competition for Composers